The Institution of Engineers (India) is a premier engineering professional society of India. Being established in 1920, its present membership is more than 5.0 lacs of engineers belonging to various disciplines of engineering and technology. The Institution has a very well established network of more than 100 numbers of centres with few of them operating from abroad.
The Allahabad Local Centre was established in 1965 as Sub- Centre and was later converted in to Local Centre in 1987. It is located in the Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology campus on Motilal Nehru Road, Allahabad. The Centre has IT supported Library containing more than 3000 reference books, journals & VCD. The Anpara Local Centre was carved out from Allahabad Local Centre in 1994. The corporate membership of the Allahabad centre is above 400. The Centre has been very active since its inception. More than 15 seminars and workshops have been organized during the last two decades.
S.S.Darbari Memorial Lecture Lokmani Lal Memorial Lectures are delivered every year during the Annual General Meeting of the Centre.
The various activities of IE(I)
1. Academic capacity building through conducting professional degree examinations in large number of engineering disciplines and offering postgraduate programme to its graduates and corporate members in selected engineering disciplines in collaboration with Birla Institute of Technology (Deemed University), Mesra (Ranchi). It also conducts courses though Engineering Staff College of India, Hyderabad. AICTE sponsored FDP schemes are also undertaken by IE(I) through its local centres.
2. R & D projects in evolving areas of technology and engineering are also supported by the IE(I).
3. The IE(I) has evolved work groups in the emerging & thrust areas of engineering and technology, they include Sustainability Development Forum, National Design & Research Forum, Rural Development Forum, Water Management Forum.
4. “The IEI Industry Excellence Award” to recognize industry leaders for their innovation, excellence in engineering operations and “The Safety and Quality Awards” to encourage professionals from manufacturing and service sectors to strive for excellence are also given by the IE(I) to provide recipient engineers national and international recognition for their contributions. The IE(I) has also instituted various other awards and prizes to encourage research and development activities. The various prizes and awards instituted by the Institution are ceremonially handed over to the recipients during the Indian Engineering Congress held every year at different locations in the country.
5. The IE(I) extensively supports various technical events and facilitates in organizing Seminars, Symposia, Workshops, Conclaves etc at regional and national level. It also holds annual events such as Indian Engineering Congress & Technicians and Students Convention.
6. The Institution of Engineers (India) is a full member of the Engineers Mobility Forum (EMF) since June 2009. The other member countries included in the EMF are Australia, Canada, Chinese Taipei, Honk Kong, India, Ireland, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, United Kingdom and United States of America.
The IE(I) is now authorized to operate Indian Section of the International Professional Engineers (IntPE) Register. The eligible Indian Professional Engineers would be placed after due process on the International Register. They would be entitled to exclusively use the title IntPE(India), indicating their international status.
All eligible Indian engineers can now apply for Professional Engineer (PE) Certification through IEI only.
7. Most of the centres of IE(I) are located in near vicinity of technology/engineering institutions and as such they act as a productive interface for academics and industrial benefits.
8. More details about The Institution of Engineers (India) is available on the official website www.ieindia.org